Friday, June 14, 2013

Fast Cars and Fast Speeds

So today was a little unsettling experience. We were staying in the city for the night to explore. We had seen the Trevi fountain and the Pantheon at night (which were gorgeous!) then decided to go home to the convent. Now it was past 12:30 which means that the metro was not working. In this situation, we either could take the night bus home or take a taxi. The taxi is a more expensive, but it is honestly the safest way to get home because you go straight there. So you go up to the first cab and give them your address and you go. We get in the taxi, and we are soaring! I look at the speedometer, and we are going almost 90 miles an hour. Now in Italy, I did not see any speed limit signs and they do not understand the concept of lanes. These cars are so tight together and it seems like there should be so many accidents, yet somehow there are not. They push and shove like people would in a crowded concert, yet they're in cars! It absolutely amazes me! The entire ride home, we were going so fast, I felt very uncomfortable. I was holding onto my friends and the car for dear life, because I honestly thought we were going to crash. Thankfully we made it home okay.

Being from America, I am not used to this type of driving at all. I've been on the turnpike before and it amazes me how people can go over 20 miles an hour over the speed limit or even reaching 100 miles an hour! But in Italy, this is completely normal. Yet, sometimes it can be scary going that fast. Needless to say, I now see driving differently and I am thankful America has speed limits and different lanes.

No comments:

Post a Comment