Sunday, June 16, 2013

One Down, Three to Go

Week 1! What a nice week! We finally got all settled in and got rid of our jetlag, thankfully. It was our first week to take in all the sights, learn the public transportation system, and learn some italian.

Positive: Its our first week and Rome, there were so many positives this week. However, my favorite part of the week was actually the day we got there. After two long flights with a five hour layover, it was nice to finally be in Rome! After we got settled at the convent, Michael took us straight into the city and explored. As a true Italian, he showed us all of the major monuments and areas around downtown. In that moment, it finally hit me that I was in Italy. It was awesome and nerve wracking at the same time! I was starting this new adventure that would have such a large impact on my life, I was beyond excited and nervous at the same time. This moment finalized that this dream that I have had in my head for seven months is actually coming to fruition.

Negative: We thought we knew how to use the bus system, and we were wrong. We had stayed in the city for the night and were faced with the decision of taking the night bus home or call three taxis. We were foolish enough to try and take the night bus. Being so new to the area as it is, we missed our stop and got off about three miles from the convent, in the dead of night. I don't mind being lost in a new city, but the fact that it was at night put me on a whole new edge. I was extremely worried and kinda freaking out a little bit. In that moment, I feel like a foreigner who was lost in a strange city; I feel that's what I hated most of all. Next time, we're taking a taxi!













No comments:

Post a Comment