Saturday, June 15, 2013

Religion with the Pope

Rome is the seed of the Catholic Church. Naturally, one would expect that most of the population would be Christian if not Catholic. Being so, religion is crucial to the Italian lifestyle as many go to church regularly on Sunday mornings, and occasionally the Pope's open masses Wednesday mornings. I am one of those lucky people who can say that I saw the Pope's Wednesday morning mass. I am personally not Catholic, but I am a Christian. Even though I may not follow the Pope as a so called "icon" of my religion, I deeply appreciate who he is, and what he stands for. During our Vatican Day we were able to see the Pope on the "Pope-mobile", hear him preach the Homily and listen to the Cardinals do the readings. I was fascinated with the whole experience rather than what was being said, because of my religion. Not to say in any way shape or form I was offended or not paying attention to what was being said (when the English translation was being said) I just more appreciated the whole idea of it. People come from around the world to hear this man preach the word of God simply because he is the Pope. He seems to have an overarching power and authority over so many people, and I am glad he uses that for good. That whole concept just amazes me how people will come from the corners of the world to see one man speak about the word of God.

I would say I have a somewhat relaxed approach to religion. I am more spiritual than religious, and I am very proud of my belief. On the other had, I have friends on the trip that were extremely Catholic, born and raised throughout their whole lives. My friends were doing everything they could to see this man they worship so much, even pushing people out of their way so they could get closer to the Pope. I even got pushed aside so my friend could get a better picture! They were crying jumping up and down, constantly praying, and became so enveloped in the Pope's mass. I know it is their religion and belief, but it felt over the top for me, but I firmly believe the differences was based on religious perspectives. 



No comments:

Post a Comment