Saturday, June 15, 2013

Vendors...

While just walking through the streets of Rome, there are shops on each side with gorgeous clothes and oddities. After class we would usually shop but after four weeks it was just shopping for little things not in general. We would go to places, find what we needed and get in, get out, get going. In addition to shops, there were street vendors with little shops, stands or even just blankets of things. These people, like in New York City, are very agressive and will constantly talk to you, ask you if you want to buy anything and sometimes give you a deal. I will admit they are quite annoying, but one of my friends sees it completely differently.

She seems to come from a very nice family that does not tollerate people and things being annoying. She saw them as completely annoying and even a waste of space. They would ask her if she wanted to buy anything, she would snap at them and yell at them, call them stupid and make extremely snide remarks about them when we walked away. She also used very choice words to describe them, which I did not appreciate what so ever. It wasn't so bad at first, but after a while, it was too much for me. Her comments got worse and worse as the days went on, and I got more and more frazzled by her words. Yes, I understand they are super annoying, but it is their profession. That is how they make their money, and sometimes they are in such bad situation that this is their only way of making money. I just reacted differently to them then she did. I understood where they were coming from, which she was snippy and mean. I guess people just see things differently.

No comments:

Post a Comment