Saturday, June 15, 2013

The Gorgeous Island of Capri

After long days of classes and adventures, we were finally taking our weekend trip to Southern Italy. Now I can bore you with some details about all the ancient ruins we saw but one of my favorite parts was Capri. This sweet little island of the coast of the southern town of Sorrento. We took a ferry ride over and then had the entire day to ourselves. It was a little cloudy of a day, but hey when in Rome you have to make the most of every minute. So we decided to take the 'incline' up to Anacapri which is where all of the great shops and cute little things were located. We decided to enjoy all of the shopping that Capri had to offer. They were adorable little boutiques that you could tell were completely indigenous to the area. We enjoyed looking at all of the cute things the area had to offer, and then decided to break apart. The group of 6 of us split up. Some of us decided to go exploring, while the some decided to shop. And boy I am so thankful that I decided to go exploring. Now I cannot account for my friends actions, but this may have been one of my best decisions on the trip.

In my opinion, I can shop in Rome and America. Personally, I had my fill of shopping for the day, especially in being in such a new area with so much to do and explore! I went off with some friends and we found some of the most gorgeous spots on the island. Going down a hill, we actually stumbled upon a cemetery. Now cemeteries in Italy are nothing like cemeteries in America. The family members build shrines of several different types of beautiful flowers with a single simple cross. They believe this commemorates their loved ones, yet allows something new to flourish in their place. Like the old saying "From out of death comes life". I never would have really come to realize that if I had never gone exploring. If I would have stayed and shopped, I never would have found all of this beauty in such a place of grief. I guess that is just the adventure seeker in me.





No comments:

Post a Comment