Friday, June 14, 2013

Pantheon Pentecost Mass

As a Christian, we celebrate different holidays and beginning of the Liturgical calendar. Pentecost would be one of these special occasions where we see the presence of the Holy Spirit. In Rome every year, there is Pentecost Mass at the Pantheon. The Pantheon is not normally a church as it is more a gathering and tourist attraction, but this special mass happens only once a year and this is truly a once in a lifetime experience. We got to the Pantheon at 830 and the doors opened at 9. There were probably 8 of us, and I was the only one who was able to find a seat, which i was extremely thankful for, but felt bad that none of my friends were able to sit down with me. I was sitting next to a gentlemen who was traveling Europe with his wife, and talking with him was nice to pass the time. Two hours later, the mass started. Now obviously it was in Italian so I understood nothing. But, after going to church and sunday school for years, I was slightly able to follow the line of events, which I was thankful for! At the end of the mass, they dropped rose petals from the hold in the ceiling for probably 10 minutes.

I attempted to get a picture, but I ended up getting lost in what was actually happening. It was such an eye opening experience. When again in my life... will I ever be able to see something to beautiful happen in such an ancient building that was built in 125 AD? It was such an eye opening experience. It was then that I finally realized that I was living in Rome for a month. I was in one of the greatest cities in the world and I needed to soak in every experience. It was also a nice religious experience for me, hearing mass in a different language and being able to follow it. But honestly, the ending was the best!! I kept a couple rose petals as they floated towards me, and I have them pressed in a book; I'll keep them forever to commemorate my experience.



1 comment:

  1. I just found this! I'm the blonde in the first photo. I have shared your photo in my blog post: www.travelangel.me/home/2019/4/29/pentecost-in-rome

    ReplyDelete